News

A Taste of Brazil at Riverbank

Samba Dance & Drumming Beats Out at Riverbank

Wednesday 18 June 2014

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Riverbank held, what can only be described as, one of the most popular events of our school calendar this past Wednesday.

The whole school had an opportunity to participate in samba dancing and drumming. The two ‘tutors’, Al for the drumming and  Shona for the dance were so enthusiastic and superb at getting the children to join in. Seeing one of the early stages classes leaving the gym hall and sambaing down the corridor after their dance session, gladdened my heart and put a smile on my face. It was so obvious how much the children had enjoyed their session. The drumming was equally popular although don’t tell the ladies in the office and how Mrs Sunley and Mrs Macleod coped with the fantastic drumming beat and bell ringing that went on outside their office windows, beats me..oops…pardon the pun! This observer, was very impressed with how quickly Al taught the children about beat and rhythm before introducing them to the instruments.

This was a hugely successful event and fitted in so well with the current samba fever generated by the World Cup. I think it’s only a matter of time before Al and Shona are back at Riverbank for another samba session!!!