News

Buddy Up for Paired Reading

I had the opportunity of enjoying paired reading with Mrs Innes’ and Miss Rowley’s classes the other week and thought I’d tell you a little more about my experience.

I was working with Mrs Innes’ class whilst she attended a meeting and I was informed, more than once or twice, by some very enthusiastic Primary 1s that they had paired reading last thing in the afternoon. Miss Rowley would send some of her Primary 3 children to read with some of the Primary 1s in class and some of the Primary 1s would go and read with some of the Primary 3s in Miss Rowley’s class.

As I had been advised our reading partners appeared and disappeared, as the case may be, and the children organised themselves into pairs and settled down at a desk or comfy space to read. The Primary 3s had taken a book with them and they shared the book with their Primary 1 buddy. In some pairs, the P3 did all the reading and in other pairs, the P1 joined in and helped out. The books ranged form The Gruffalo to Animals of Africa; fiction and non-fiction.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

After sharing a book with each other, the pairs completed a worksheet task giving the name of the book and author and telling a little about their favourite part and drawing a picture.

The room was a hive of busy activity and the pupils worked so well together, completing some super work and most importantly of all, sharing the enjoyment of reading!

Rights Respecting School New Logo Level 2UNCRC / RRSA

Article 28 – Every child has the right to an education…..

Article 29 – Education must develop every child’s personality, talents and abilities to the full……

Article 15 – Every child has the right to meet with other children and to join groups…….