News

World Book Day Fun & Lots of Reading

Thursday 2 March 2017 was World Book Day and children and staff were invited to come to school dressed as their favourite character from a book. There were many interesting characters in Riverbank and we had book and comic book characters aplenty throughout the school.

I had so much fun working out who our characters were. Some were more easily worked out than others. The trickier ones were characters from books that I hadn’t read, so it was good to find out who these characters were. Two of our ‘special guests’ who intrigued me were Goth Girl, the main character in the Goth Girl series of books by Chris Riddell, an author, who some of our pupils met and the Wee Lassie who Swallowed a Midgie. This was another new character for me, but for us oldies…oops sorry…more mature people, the Wee Lassie who Swallowed a Midgie is a Scottish version of the Old Lady who Swallowed the Fly!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

There were many Batmen, Batgirls, Wonder Women, Captain Americas as well as an Ironman, Harry Potter, Wally from Where’s Wally, Peter Pan, Little Red Riding Hood and a plethora of different Princesses!!! I wish I could mention them all.

The staff provided Book Day activities and there were many stories read and discussed. Primary 1D tied in their story writing to Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

We even have  a Book Fair running for two weeks so we can add to our home libraries by buying a book from the Fair.

What super fun we had…oh and don’t forget to use your World Book Day Tokens!

UNCRC / RRSA

Article 31 – Every child has the right to relax, play and take part in a wide range of cultural and artistic activities.