News

Mrs Smith’s Class Discuss Needs & Wants as well as Kindness and Friendliness as part of Health & Well Being Work

Being part of the RRSA scheme, we try to ensure that all of our pupils are aware of their rights and that their basic needs should be met. It is sometimes difficult to separate needs from wants, especially if you’re a pupil.

Mrs Smith noted the following, “As part of our UNCRC work we have been looking at Needs and Wants and there were lots of debates  about what is actually a Need. It took some explaining to convince the class that holidays, TV and phones are not needs!!”

As part of the experiences and outcomes from the Curriculum for Excellence the class familiarised themselves with; I explore the rights to which I and others are entitled, I am able to exercise these rights appropriately and accept the responsibilities that go with them. I show respect for the rights of others.  HWB 1-09a

The class then went on to discuss friendship and kindness. They looked at bucket fillers and bucket dippers among other things.

This is what Mrs Smith told us about these activities, “We have been working extensively on HWB in the Linkroom.

We have explored class rules with Clark the Shark. We have, also, looked at  how to be helpful to others by pretending Aliens arrived to start school and how we could help them by explaining what the routines in school are. This brought us on to discuss Bucket dippers and Bucket fillers. We discussed whether we were a bucket filler or a bucket dipper. One are for debate was who would be more popular; the bucket filler or the bucket dipper? 

The main focus throughout has been kindness and caring for others, friendship and helping others.”

Linking these to the CfE the class covered the following experiences and outcomes:

I value the opportunities I am given to make friends and be part of a group in a range of situations. HWB 1-14a

I make full use of and value the opportunities I am given to improve and manage my learning and, in turn, I can help to encourage learning and confidence in others. HWB 1-11a

I recognise that each individual has a unique blend of abilities and needs. I contribute to making my school community one which values individuals equally and is a welcoming place for all. HWB 1-10a

I’m sure the pupils in Mrs Smith’s class have learned a lot from their work on H&WB as well as needs and wants.

UNCRC / RRSA

Article 23 – A child with a disability has the right to live a full decent life with dignity and independence, and to play an active part in the community. Governments must do all they can to provide support to disabled children.

Article 28 – Every child has the right to an education…..

Article 29 – Education must develop every child’s personality, talents and abilities to the full. It must encourage the child’s respect for human rights, as well as respect for their parents, their own and other cultures and the environment.

Article 31 – Every child has the right to relax, play and take part in a wide range of cultural and artistic activities.