News

Tabletop Gardens….Whatever Next!

Luckily for me, Mrs Ironside was out at a head teacher’s meeting and Mrs Macleod was teaching a class and so Mrs Barber’s Primary 4B class asked if I could go and judge their homework assignment. What, I wondered, could this be about? Amy, one of our PSAs said that it was to judge the children’s gardens!!! ‘Did I need my car to get round all the gardens?’ I asked. I did get a funny look but I decided to go over and see what was required. I am so glad the other members of the management team weren’t available otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to experience one fantastic homework assignment!!!

When I arrived in class, it was explained that the homework task had been to create a tabletop garden. Gosh! We have many future landscape gardeners at Riverbank. It was a WOW! From individual plants grown from seeds to grass grown on paper towels, from fish ponds to garden huts, I saw them all. I wish my garden at home looked half as good as the gardens, plants and flowers which I saw this morning.

I hate judging things like this as they were all so good!! So much time and effort had been put into this assignment, by all of the children. They did fantastically well. Mrs Barber asked me to choose my favourite three and place them as 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The children who designed those gardens will receive a prize on Monday whilst everyone who took part received a gift for their efforts.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Mrs Barber has kindly sent me some photographs of the table top gardens and she has written a piece for the Primary 4B blog. Please, have a look at it. I have made a slideshow of the gardens and inserted it above, as you will have seen. Well done everyone!!

UNCRC / RRSA

Article 29 – Education must develop every child’s personality, talents and abilities to the full…..